When I think of birthday themed items the first thing that comes to mind is cupcakes. I absolutely adore cupcakes! Your very own personal cake - what's NOT to love?!? For my project I decided to "cupcake-ify" a paper mache hat box. I used lots and lots of Glimmer Glam and Lindy's Stamp Gang mists to give this project lots of depth and sparkle. This cupcake had lots and lots of layers!
|Cupcake box with ribbon handle|
|Layers of yummy goodness. I planned to cover the bottom and sides with paper so I didn't worry about misting those.|
|Decorated inside lid. You can see the sheen and depth from the multiple layers of Glam. YUM!|
|The combination of the running ink from the Moonshadow Mist and layers of glam really added depth and shine.|
I covered the outside of the lid, outside of the bottom, and inside bottom with paper from the Nook and Pantry line from Basic Grey. The cupcake images were the perfect size! I added Distress Ink and glitter to them to give them some punch. I felt they needed an anchor so they weren't floating on the side of the box. I took some vintage cotton lace and painted it with white acrylic paint and then added Distress Ink to give it some depth.
|Paint and ink add even more texture to the lace.|
|Pre crackle paint shot.|
|Post crackle paint glossy crackly goodness. It makes the frosting on the cupcakes look real!|
I wanted the box to look like a cupcake itself so I took some white flower ribbon and coiled it around the top of the lid to make it look like frosting. I painted a flower with Glimmer Glam and added it along with some velvet leaves to the center. Instant frosted cupcake!
|Yummy enough to eat!|
Then it was off to the finishing touches. I added some pom pom fringe to the lid and eyelets to the bottom to thread the ribbon through.
I'm not quite sure who will be the recipient of this little cupcake box but each time I look at it I want cupcakes!
Thanks so much so stopping by and participating in the blog hop! There are tons of great sponsors and I'm sure you'll find something to inspire you.
Your next stop on the hop is Jess herself at KinderStampO. You can also find a full list of blogs on her site as well in case you get lost hoppin' around. Enjoy!
Products used in this project:
- Paper mache hat box (Michael's)
- Patterned paper (Nook and Pantry collection from Basic Grey)
- Matte gel medium (Golden)
- Violaceous Violet Moonshadow mist (Lindy's Stamp Gang)
- Lipstick Pink and Golden Goddess Glimmer Glam (Tattered Angels)
- Glitter glue (Martha Stewart Crafts)
- Snow Cap Adirondack Paint Dauber (Ranger)
- Vintage Photo Distress Ink (Ranger)
- Rock Candy Crackle Paint (Ranger)
- Vintage cotton lace (Precious Memories)
- Bling (Prima)
- Fabric flower (7 Gypsies)
- Velvet leaves (Remember When)
- Silver eyelets (Making Memories)
- Brown polka dot ribbon (Michael's)
- White flower ribbon (American Crafts)
- Wet adhesive (Helmar)
- Fabritac (Beacon)