Inky Goodness

Welcome! Thanks for stopping by and indulging my random thoughts on crafting and all things inky and messy. Nothing makes me happier than inky fingers and paint under my fingernails at the end of the day. A little glitter never hurts either. ;) Happy crafting!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Now I Remember Why I Loved Stamping So Much!

Blue Moon Scrapbooking is hosting a huge contest this month with several categories for submission.  I figured I'd enter in the Best Altered Item and Best Layout categories.  There are sooo many fantastic pieces already submitted, but no fear right?  ;)

I have been needing an apron and everyone has been doing some really fabulous things with Donna Downey's apron from Prima.  While adorable, it's only 1/2 and apron - the lower half.  I need something to cover the upper part, where I tend to get paint on me all the time!

I considered making one and then thought I'd check out Michael's to see what they had.  I found a super cheap full black canvas apron on sale so I snagged it while I could.  I had just gotten some great, perfect for fabric, huge foam stamps from Donna Downey so I put them to good use along with a couple of her canvas shapes and rub ons.

Because the apron was black, I wasn't sure if the acrylic paints I planned to use would show up well.  The foam stamps are clear so I decided to stamp everything in white gesso first, let it dry, and then stamped over it again with the acrylic paint.  The color really came out well and the surface area of the stamps really made it easy to shade and blend colors.  It was so fun to stamp on fabric again!!  I was pleased enough with the results that I entered it as one of my 3 possible entries in the Best Altered Item category.
Just enough embellisment to make it pretty but not so much that it's not functional.

You might recognize this image from by blog title. ;)

Supplies used:
  • Black canvas apron (Michael's)
  • Foam flower stamp (Donna Downey)
  • Foam circle stamps, small and large (Jo Ann's)
  • White Gesso (Liquitex)
  • Acrylic paint (Claudine Hellmuth, FolkArt, CraftSmart)
  • Canvas shapes (Donna Downey)
  • Iron on (Donna Downey)
  • Velvet flowers and leaves (Making Memories and Maya Road)
  • Crystal bling

No comments:

Post a Comment