|Lily in afternoon light|
So now I just had to create a layout to showcase this photo using all white elements - right!
My first thought was vellum! Vellum is sheer and great to work with layered over various items. I also had some great white die cut paper and wanted to use fabric to keep the feeling of lightness. I picked some white cotton voile since it's very sheer and airy. The airy/lightness theme took me to butterflies (of course) and I threw in some glitter and pearls for added sheen.
|It's hard to capture all of the ways light plays of the various elements|
|Afterward I decided to add small pearls to the center of the butterflies. I think it helps them stand out more.|
Once I got the whole "light" theme going I thought wouldn't it be cool if you could also see the layout backlit?!?! The details got washed out but the background showed up nicely.
Since I couldn't play with color, I focused on playing with texture and I had a great time! I am really enjoying participating in these challenges. They are a great way to keep those creative energies flowing!
Step by Step:
- I sewed a border around a piece of white vellum.
- I adhered the vellum to a piece of white die cut paper and then adhered that to a sheet of clear acetate for stability.
- I doubled a piece of white cotton voile and sewed it together with 2 rows of "wonky" stitches and then frayed the edges. I then adhered the fabric strip to the center of my background.
- I cut a piece of clear acetate larger than my photo and burnt the edges with a candle to soften them. Burning them also forms a hard layer at the edge which makes a nice border.
- I glued my photo onto the acetate mat.
- I covered a Tattered Angels glimmer chip butterfly in glue and diamond dust glitter. I love this glitter! It's big and chunky and looks like sugar. I added a white vellum flower to the center of the butterfly and adhered it the upper left hand corner of the vertical fabric strip.
- I then added my photo/mat and adhered it with dimensional pop dots to help separate it from the background.
- Then it was embellishment time! I stamped butterflies onto clear acetate and vellum with white StazOn ink. I edged the vellum butterflies with white Stickles glitter glue and once dry, coated them with a coat of Rock Candy crackle paint. After they dried I cut out all of the butterflies. I liked the contrast of the clear acetate next to the shiny vellum. Each picks up the light differently.
- To help anchor them on the page, I layered them over a horizontal strip of ribbon layered over lace. The vertical butterflies are layered over Prima pearl bling.
- For the title, I covered the chipboard with the same diamond dust glitter and voila, done!
|The acetate behind the photo catches the light in its own way|
|Pearls, acetate, and painted vellum all have their own unique sheen|
|Re shot this image after adding the pearl centers|
|Everything's better with glitter!|
|Glitter AND pearls that is! ;)|
- Clear acetate sheets
- White vellum
- White die cut paper (KI Memories)
- White cotton voile fabric
- Glimmer chips chipboard butterfly and letters (Tattered Angels)
- Diamond Dust glitter
- White Stickles (Ranger)
- Rock Candy crackle paint (Ranger)
- Butterfly stamp (Prima)
- White vellum flower (K&Company)
- White StazOn ink
- Pearl bling (Prima)
- Pearl buttons
- Scallop Lace and flower ribbon (Prima)
- Sheer ribbon (Michael's)