Inky Goodness

Welcome! Thanks for stopping by and indulging my random thoughts on crafting and all things inky and messy. Nothing makes me happier than inky fingers and paint under my fingernails at the end of the day. A little glitter never hurts either. ;) Happy crafting!

Monday, November 5, 2012

A New Crackle Medium

I'm addicted to texture.  I can't get away from the tactile feel and the look of lumpy bumpy things on a surface.  I think this is part of the reason why I haven't gotten too into digital media.

While shopping around online I came across a crackling medium I hadn't tried before.  I've used craft mediums from Plaid and such as well as crackling paste from Golden.  This medium from Matisse was described as yielding a thinner texture and worked between layers of paint in a traditional crackle medium way.  I thought "what the heck?" and picked it up.

I tried it out on the background of this page.  I started with a base layer of paynes grey, let it dry, then applied the crackle medium.  Once it had dried for the specified length of time I layered mixes of acrylic colors over the top hoping that the dark blue color would come through.


Flower shapes are from a Donna Downey stencil
I only added the crackle medium in certain places thinking it would give a nice texture if it were uneven and not uniform across the background.  The result was very subtle. Next time I will try a thicker layer of the medium for a more pronounced effect.

Very subtle crackling
No words or theme for this page.  I like its simplicily.  Besides, it was all about playing with my new toy. 

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. I love your colour choices!

    Sam
    http://abitofcraftygenius.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete